An Cnoc is the Gaelic and means ‘the hill’. The distillery is located by Huntly, Aberdeen-shire. The single malt is aromatic with a sweet honey and citrus flavour and a lingering smooth finish. (Apéritif)
Balvenie distillery was established using second-hand stills, which are quite bulbous, this no doubts contributes to the distinct character of the whisky. Lightly spicy with honey and sweet peaty notes. This bottling is matured in American oak and sherry casks. (After dinner)
The Balvennie Double Wood
12 yr old 40% abv
Golden syrup and liquorice. With smooth oak, vanilla and cinnamon. (Before bed)
15 yr old 50.4% abv
This comes from a single first fill bourbon cask. Each bottle is individually dated and numbered. A firm, robust whisky with a fruity sweetness. Heather and pine needles with a dry, spicy finish. (Apéritif)
Benrinnes is one of the few distilleries still using a so-called ‘worm tub’ to cool the vapours and condensed spirit from the running stills. The triple distillation process used produces a silky and very pure whisky with exotic fruit, honey and biscuits notes.
15 yr old 40% abv
Dry, well-rounded, with some sweetness, smoke and vanilla. (Reviver/ after dinner)
Cardhu started life as an illicit still on a hill farm at Cardow in Speyside. Helen Cumming helped her husband in the illicit craft, and rather boldly gave the excise men accommodation when in the area. They were advised the strange odour was due to bread making! She also hoisted a red flag at the back of the farm to advise neighbours the excise men were in the area. Helen is accredited with being the only women to have started a distillery in Scotland.
Cardhu is an integral part of Jonnie Walker Whisky and the distillery was bought by them in 1893, with a condition that John Cumming (grandson of Helen) be granted a seat on the board.
The bottle was designed originally to be like a decanter rather than just a bottle.
12 year old 40% abv
The whisky itself, is floral in style, tasting of apple and honey with a bit of toffee thrown in.
The Craigellachie distillery was established in 1888 by Peter J.Mackie. Set in the village of Craigellachie at the meeting point of those two great rivers of whisky lore, the Fiddich and the Spey. The location where the distillery was built was only partially because of the quality of the water there, the main reason was the proximity of the railway. It is used in blends, mainly Dewar’s White Label. Aromatic, hint of citrus. (After dinner)